Sunday, April 25, 2010

Look Ma! I can blanch!

I was in Costco (my love) the other day and spotted some yummy goat cheese... How could I resist? It sparked some ideas, mainly a desire to recreate this ahhhh-mazing salad I had at Medure's over Easter weekend (love you Stone family!). Argula with roasted beets, haricot verts, and goat cheese tossed in a light vinaigrette. A bold move on my part...

So, I improvised. I found some baby spinach and haricot verts at Costco. And bought some light balsamic vinaigrette and jarred (pre cooked and sliced) beets at Publix. Lazy, I know... but beets are stinkin' expensive and momma needs a steady income to be buying $5 worth of root vegetables! (Reason #652 why I can't wait to move: Trader Joe's).

I've never blanched. It's simple enough. Boil some water, throw some beans in, cook 1-2 minutes, fish 'em out and throw them in ice cold water.

Aren't they purty? All bright and crispy just chillin' in some ice water. Pun not intended.

And this is the finished product. A low-cal yet filling, fibrous meal. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle to Medure's, but hey, a girl can try. I think it was the beets. I'm such a cheapskate. Be prepared for more recipe triumphs and disasters to come. With no comparison to the AbFab Medure's, it was delicious. Victory is mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment