Monday, May 10, 2010

LaGrange Adventure

After exams, Mom and I skidaddled out of town and escaped to the ever-so-lovely LaGrange, GA (little UNknown fact: also the hometown of Bubba Sparxxx). It was a FAB weekend filled with fun, laughter, shopping, food (lots and lots of food), and some much needed wisdom.
(Just an example of the food... This was Meme's baked sweet potato at lunch on Sunday... even after my mom went to town on it too). We guesstimated it was about 2-4 lbs. That's a lot of YUM!

Anyway, on Saturday we ventured to outside of Newnan, GA (another small lovely town) to an estate sale at Catalpa Plantation.

Isn't it beautiful? It was built on that property (about 1,000 acres of cotton fields) around 1835 in the Federal style. Like, seriously... they had to put in a bathroom upstairs with the bedrooms (which ALL had fireplaces, loves it!). How inconvenient to use an outhouse! There was nothing special inside the sale. Everything was overpriced, unusable and not to mention ugly. But it was amazing to see the landscaping. This landscaping firm bought the property and used it as a showcase, but unfortunately they have gone under so they're short selling the house.
This is the Catalpa tree, the namesake of the plantation (obviously). Apparently it's the largest tree on the land and inspired the name. Not very original, but I'll let it slide this time.
There was a large pond (small lake?) in the back. Mom and I admired the romance of the gazebo and swing attached to the tree. But my very favorite part? The skeet thrower under the gazebo... gotta love the country! Really though, who needs furniture when you can shoot stuff?
Isn't that beautiful? There was a fish pond (see below) that also ran a small stream to the large pond (again... small lake?) with the wooden walking bridge. Very sweet. It makes me sad this company couldn't make it as they were creative and talented. They grew irises as big as my face! I wish I had a comparison picture. But you can imagine... my face... big flower. Got it? Good.
Lover-ly. Just lover-ly.

Then we pushed onward to Senoia (locals pronounce it Suh-noy... non-locals and Yankees alike call it Suh-noy-uh). It's a neat little town thats been all-done-up with fan-cy brick sidewalks and landscaping and antique-y gift shops. Let's be honest... the best part of Senoia? The slice of AH-mazing Georgia Peach Cake from a local bakery. (I'm telling you, there was LOTS of eating involved that weekend).
This is downtown Senoia. All around, it was a great weekend. I love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment